"O shrieve me, shrieve me, holy man!"
The Hermit cross'd his brow.
"Say quick," quoth he, "I bid thee say—
What manner of man art thou?"

Forthwith this frame of mine was wrench'd
With a woful agony,
Which forced me to begin my tale;
And then it left me free.

Friday, May 07, 2004

untitled... (with Carrie's voice inside my head)

i just turned 21, and like all those that came before me, i was entitled to have a night of celebration with old friends. apparently, i have been so accepted in my circle, that they are most comfortable with what and how i really am. nothing but the best birthday gift that i guess anyone could ask for... some old high school friends and i were out buying beer, and suddenly, i found myself in a testosterone charged environment, contained in a moving vehicle. there i was, somewhere in the middle of my sexuality and gender, i was lost in translation. it was guy talk. one that i would never have been able to appreciate, had i not been sitting next to my ex boyfriend slash high school bestfriend. i know, that by now, i would have been used to their kind of conversation. but as i sat there, staring out the car window, i asked myself... what am i doing here? i'm not supposed to be hearing this right now, and certainly not from them. when it comes to dealing with this, i wonder... is this how it feels like to be at the other end of the conversation? i never thought i'd live to see that moment. but then again, i was there. all the queerness of me was... and it was an experience i'm not willing to go through anytime soon. it certainly gave a new perspective to the phrase, riding in cars with boys...